Career in Optometry
Optometry as a career trending career choice involves working as a primary eye care practitioner. The optometrist plays a vital role in detecting eye defects like glaucoma, cataract in age-related maculopathy and other related health conditions like diabetes and hypertension. Studying a BSc in Optometry opens up diverse career avenues for attractive salary packages. Professionally, Optometrists are responsible for elevating any vision related diagnosis, referral, and management of the same. Following are the responsibilities an optometrist is required to perform.
- Perform vision tests, diagnose problems, prescribe glasses and other optical corrective measures.
- Provide healthcare counseling to the patients, promote general health and optical wellness.
- Deliver the pre- and post-operative care to the patients after they have been subject to a surgical procedure.
- Perform patient evaluation to detect general health issues like hypertension, diabetes and provide the necessary health referrals.
In a comprehensive vision care report published it was outlined that India has the widest career opportunity in the field of optometry. Diploma or BSc degree in Optometry required the educational eligibility of 10+2 with PCE (Physics, Chemistry, English) and Mathematics or Biology. A postgraduate diploma in optometry can be pursued from any subject background; however, the ones from the science background will have a greater advantage.
Herein are highlighted the career opportunities the students can explore:
- Become an independent practitioner or conjointly practice with another ophthalmologist.\
- They can also become the head of an educational institute or an educator.
- They can substantially contribute as a research scholar in an eye care institute.
- They can engage in a professional service in a corporate organisation.\
- They can engage in a clinical research and also become a researcher in basic science.
- They can also join the state government and central government hospitals.
A graduate programme in optometry covers a duration of 4 years. The first three years of the curriculum involves a theory and clinical oriented learning while the final year or the fourth year involves a year of internship at an industry wherein the scholars would have to work in an industry. They would be required to directly interact with patients under the supervision of qualified practicing optometrists.
Institutions in Kolkata offering courses in optometry.
Vidyasagar College of Optometry & Vision Science
Krishnalaya School of Optometry
NSHM Knowledge campus
Institute of Medical and Technological Research.
George Group of Colleges